Citizens of third countries. Short term stay

(up to 6 months)

If you are not a citizen of the EU, EEA or Switzerland, you should first check whether you need a visa to entre Estonia. Information on visa requirements and the contact information of all the embassies can be found at the web page of the Estonian Ministry of Foreign Affairs. It is uselfal to check the website of the Estonian embassy in your home country for specific information.

You can apply for a visa at the diplomatic representation of the Republic of Estonia. If you plan to stay in Estonia for less than 90 days, as short-term visa can be applied for. If you wish to work in Estonia for 3 to 6 months, you will need to apply for a long-term visa. Both short-term and long-term visa application are processed in 30 days.

On December 21 st 2007, Estonia joined the Schengen area. Now you can apply for a short-term visa at the embassy of another Schengen member state if there is no Estonian embassy in your home country. See the list of embassies representing Estonia at the website of Estonian Ministry of Foreign Affairs. Long term visas still need to be applied for from the nearest Estonian foreign representation.

If you come to Estonia through another country do not forget to check whether a transit visa is required.

Citizens from a number of countries do not need a visa to enter Estonia for stays of no more than three months in a 6-month period. However, if you wish to work in Estonia for 3 to 6 months, you still need to apply for a long-term visa; for a longer stay you must apply for a residence permit for employment.

If your period of work in Estonia is shorter than 6 months, you do not need a work permit if you register your short term employment at the Citizenship and Migration Bureau (CMB). Short term employment must be registered before applying for a long-term visa, and the document confirming registration must be appended to the long term visa application. The registration process at the CMB takes up to 10 days. The best way is to register short term employment by mail before arriving in Estonia.

Estonian Ministry of Foreign Affairs. Long-stay visa (D) for short-term employment
Citizenship and Migration Bureau. Contact Service Points

EURAXESS – Researchers in Motion – Services